Thursday 25 September 2008

Reconciliation

Leonora's first thought was to jump back on the train. But it whooshed slowly out of the station behind her.

She stood there glaring at Leonard, wondering why Lara had not turned up to meet her. Surely it wasn't a totally put-up job on Leonard's part just to lure her back?

Eventually Leonard approached her.

"Hi Leonora," he said, even giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Let me take your bag."

"Where's Lara?" she snapped.

"She got rid of the car before going on the trip, so it meant she would have had to borrow one to pick you up. It was easier for me to take the afternoon off work and come and meet you," he said. It was actually true.

"Oh. Well, why did she say she was going to pick me up then?" said Leonora, still looking for a conspiracy.

"Probably forgot, or intended to borrow a car, I don't know. You can ask her if you think it is that important. I wouldn't have thought it was. Someone is here to pick you up which is what matters," he replied.

The trouble was, Leonora could hardly accuse Leonard and Lara of conspiring to get her back without appearing a) paranoid and b) amazingly egotistical.

"Good journey?" he asked.

"Yeah, it wasn't bad," she said.

"No screaming kids, no dribbling people falling asleep next to you with their heads falling off their shoulders?" he asked.

Leonora laughed. "No, none of those. I didn't do that either. I read most of the way down.

"So when's Lara coming?" she asked, determined to at least check out whether or not she had been totally had over.

"Some time later on. She said she would make her own way although I guess we could go and pick her up. Rod might turn up if he thinks there is a chance to scrounge free food and a shower so maybe she'll come with him."

Leonora was suitably appeased.

"How's Tata?" she asked.

"Fine. Absolutely ecstatic that her best mate will be around to play tugs with her."

"Yeah, that will be good fun. And Mrs Leonard?" she asked.

"She's well too, looking forward to having a few people in the house again. You know how sociable she is. Not like me," he said.

Leonora thought this was a slightly surreal conversation. She hadn't been gone from Leonard's house for even a week and they were talking as though she hadn't seen any of them for months.

Although, oddly, it did feel as though it had been some time since she had been there.

And Leonard was being irritatingly agreeable. She found him very disarming when he was nice and really didn't know what to say to him.

"I hope you are going to stay for a few days," he said casually.

"I hadn't thought it through," she admitted. "I just said yes when Lara rang and didn't think any further ahead."

"Did you get an open ticket?" he asked.

"Yes," said Leonora, knowing that she was digging her own grave. "I hate restricted tickets. I wasn't sure how long Lara was staying. Or how long I should stay."

Shit, shit, shit, she thought. It must be a conspiracy.

"Oh well, you can stay as long as you want then. Or clear off tomorrow if you like. Your choice Leonora," he said.

Leonard was very pleased with himself. He knew Leonora could not cope with him being reasonable - she had nothing to argue about. Have that Leonora.

Leonora said nothing.

They got to Tata's Land Rover. Leonora was disappointed not to see Tata.

"Where is Tata?" she asked, as they climbed inside.

"At home. I didn't want to leave her locked inside or stood on the station with me if the train was going to be late.

"How far can you walk Leonora?"

"Not far really. Why?"

"Just thought we could all go out caching this evening. Be good fun for Tata," he said grinning.

Leonora couldn't help laughing. "You are wicked and I hate you nearly as much as I hate caching."

"And you are a spoilt brat, but it's good to see you again. Don't leave it so long next time."

He ruffled her hair affectionately, and they set off home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live with someone who shall not be named, who is paranoid and amazingly egotistical.

It is no joke I can tell you.

R Butler
(that is my name, not my occupation or poor grammar).

Anonymous said...

any man who "ruffles hair affectionately" is to be treasured.

Monkey Loving Imo.

Anonymous said...

Still no mention of my dream.

Drunken Daphne.

Anonymous said...

I think that Leonora may be a sex bomb.

I am hoping so. I will continue driving my truck and singing until I find out the climax to this story.

I await more, soon.

Sex Bombs that is.

Yours truly,
A Fan from The Valleys.

Tom Jones.

Or Jones The Tom as I am called in these parts.