Wednesday 24 September 2008

Leonora's return

Leonard rang Lara the next day on his lunch break. Lara burst out laughing at Leonard's request, but agreed to do it.

"Are you and Leonora still arguing like a pair of kids?" she asked.

"It's Leonora who is childish," said Leonard sulkily. "Not me."

"Well, I'll give her a ring tonight and sort something round.

"Shall I get her to come and stay with me?" she added naughtily.

"No," snapped Leonard. "You are all to come here, and that's that. Don't you go ruining our plans."

"OK," she said, still laughing. "I'll ring you back when I've convinced her I can't possibly leave the UK without seeing her."

"Thanks Lara," he said. "Catch you later."

He turned to Tata. "That should do the trick, don't you think?"

"Ruff," she agreed, winking at Leonard.

............................

Lara was as good as her word.

She rang Leonora early that evening, remembering that Leonora was an early bird and did not keep Leonard's nocturnal hours.

"Hello," said Leonora in her snotty voice in case it was Leonard who had been suspiciously quiet since her 'phone call the day before.

"Hi Leonora," said Lara who was used to Leonora's snotty voices. "It's Lara Smith here."

"Oooooh, Lara, hiya, how are you?" said Leonora, dropping the snottiness immediately on hearing Lara's voice.

"Hey, you must be going on your trip soon," she said.

"Yeah, that's why I'm ringing," said Lara. "I'd really like to see you before I leave, so I thought we could fix up a time to meet.

"I'm spending a couple of nights at dad's, so thought you might like to come down and join us all," she said confidently, although waiting for the outburst.

"I'd come up and see you, but to be honest I've not really got time, and if you come down to us that means you can catch up with everyone else too.

"Rod and his girlfriend will probably be kicking around as well if there's an excuse for a free shower and some free food."

Leonora laughed. Rod's habit of turning up whenever he could for showers and food was a standing joke in the family and everyone teased him about it. It didn't stop him doing it though.

"When were you thinking of?" said Leonora without even realising what she was committing herself to.

"As soon as you can really. I'm just finishing off at work now so I'm flexible on time, and I've virtually got everything ready for the trip.

"I can show you my visas, and we can talk about all my planning," said Lara, knowing Leonora would find this irresistible.

"Oh, it sounds great. I can't wait to see you," said Leonora, all thoughts of Leonard swept totally out of her head as she thought of Lara's forthcoming trip.

"Can you get down tomorrow then? I'll pick you up from the station if you let me know what train you are on," said Lara, thinking it was best not to give Leonora any time to wriggle out of it later.

"OK, I'll give you a ring or send you a text. I'll probably get the one that arrives mid-afternoonish at a guess," said Leonora.

"Fantastic Leonora. I'll let dad know by the way, don't worry about that. See you tomorrow then. Bye," said Lara, and put the 'phone down.

Leonora smiled happily and turned to the two little crutches.

"We're going to go and see Lara tomorrow and talk about her trip," she said.

"Oh goody," said the little crutches, who liked any adventure really. They wondered why she was so pleased about going to stay with Leonard again but thought it better not to ask.

Leonora decided to do some packing that evening so that she didn't have too much to do the following morning.

As she was packing, the realisation that she was going to end up staying at Leonard's again finally sunk in.

And a nasty thought crossed her mind. Surely Lara wasn't in collusion with Leonard? No, Lara was not that sort of woman. She probably didn't even know that Leonora had stormed off from Leonard's in an independent huff.

..........................

"Hi dad," said Lara, ringing him after she had spoke to Leonora.

"Leonora's coming down tomorrow. I said I'd pick her up from the station, but obviously that would mean borrowing a car.

"It would be easier if you picked her up wouldn't it?" she said.

Leonard laughed at Lara. "Good girl," he said.

"What time?"

"She said probably mid-afternoon, but she's going to ring or text me, so I'll let you know tomorrow."

"OK, thanks," he said. "We'll see you all tomorrow. Bye."

He grinned at Tata. "Seems like you and Lara have sorted it between you."

Tata grinned back at him and then went to get a toy from her box. She figured she deserved a wrestling match.

...........................

The next day Leonora and the little crutches set off for the railway station with Leonora's small travel bag.

The train journey wasn't too bad, and Leonora was feeling pretty chilled. She sent Lara a brief text confirming the time of her arrival, and received an acknowledgement back.

She settled into her seat with her book and the time passed quickly.

When they arrived, she hobbled off the train and looked around for Lara. Puzzled and surprised not to see her, she looked around again.

And then saw Leonard, leaning against the station wall, with a triumphant grin on his face.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ending with a cliff hanger eh?

I will now have to keep looking in for further updates.

Sorry I did not comment earlier, internal problems here. Indeed.

Scarlett

Anonymous said...

hmmmm! Lara is a minx. You mark my words.

An Interested Blog Reader

Anonymous said...

Your blog story makes me laff! I like all the characters, they are becoming my friends.

Laffing Person

Anonymous said...

The Crutches are my favorites.

American Speller