Saturday 27 September 2008

But not for long

Leonora did not like having her hair ruffled. No, that was not true. She did like having her hair ruffled but she wasn't sure whether she liked it being ruffled by Leonard. She wondered whether to say anything.

She brooded away about it as she looked at the pretty countryside flashing past them.

"Hey girl, anything wrong?" said Leonard, patting her on the leg and naively walking into a minefield.

Leonora exploded.

"First you call me a spoilt brat, then you ruffle my hair as though I am a child or a dog, then you call me a girl and pat me on the knee.

"Both your language and your gestures are infantilising and patronising to an adult woman, and you are also invading my personal space.

"I would be very interested to know how many men you would treat like that?" she said, the words out of her mouth before she could stop herself.

Leonard gulped and said: "None Leonora, because I'm not as fond of any as I am of you, but nor do any of the ones I know behave in such a brattish fashion as you do.

"In future I'll keep out of your personal space and watch my language."

They sat in an uneasy silence from then on until they reached Leonard's house.

When they opened the door Tata came rushing up to greet Leonora.

"Aruff ruff ruff," she barked happily.

"Yeah, it's great to see you too," replied Leonora.

The three of them went off to Leonora's room, Tata leading the way, then Leonora and the two little crutches (who Tata had ignored), and lastly Leonard with Leonora's bag.

Leonard put the bag down and said: "I'll leave you to do any unpacking you may want to do.

"I'm going to make a cup of tea, would you like one?"

"No, thanks," she said.

Tata thought Leonard sounded rather abrupt, but didn't pay much attention to him as she was more interested in making a fuss of Leonora, and in Leonora telling her how beautiful she was.

Leonora lay on the bed and patted it for Tata to bound up next to her. They both lay there happily for a while not saying anything. Then there was a tap at the door. Leonora ignored it. Tata jumped off the bed quickly and tried to look innocent.

Leonard rapped more noisily. "Leonora!" he said loudly.

She still didn't bother answering, so he walked in with a large glass of wine, plonked it on the table next to the bed, and walked out again without saying anything.

Tata realised something was definitely amiss.

"Ruff?" she asked Leonora.

"Oh nothing really. Just the usual sort of disagreement. Leonard ruffled my hair and patted me on the leg so I told him he was infantilising me and invading my personal space," she answered.

"Ruff," barked Tata, who considered herself above Leonora's ideology of feminism and patriarchal society, but she sympathised with her nevertheless out of solidarity. She jumped back on the bed.

Leonora finished her glass of wine and decided to have a nap. If nothing else it would save speaking to Leonard.

Leonard stamped around the house. Flippin' Leonora. She hadn't even got into the house and she was already picking on him. He had been so nice to her too. What a wasted effort. And Tata had hardly bothered to acknowledge him she was so busy fussing over Leonora.

He wondered how many jaffa cakes to have with his mug of tea? They were quite filling though, and he didn't want to ruin his appetite for his evening meal. Still that was pretty unlikely. He picked a few out of the tin and went over to the computer to distract himself on the internet.

Leonard logged onto a few forums, and websites and decided to see if there were any new local caches. He had been joking when he suggested going out caching with Leonora, but if there were any FTFs he might as well go and have a look for them. There weren't. He sighed and decided to mess around playing a few quizzes.

Lara arrived with Mrs Leonard not long afterwards.

"Hiya dad, where's Leonora?" she said clearly far more interested in Leonora than she was in him.

"In her room," he said sulkily. "She's probably asleep with Tata on the bed next to her. How are you?"

"Great thanks," she called over her shoulder as she shot off to see Leonora.

How are you dad, oh I'm OK, thanks for asking.

"Hi Leonard," said Mrs Leonard making her way to the kitchen. "How's Leonora? Did she have a good journey?"

How are you Leonard? Did you have a good day? Why is no-one interested in me?

"Much the same as usual, and yes," he answered.

Lara gave a perfunctory tap on Leonora's door and walked straight in. Tata remained on the bed.

"Hello you idle woman. Wake up and talk to me," she said.

Leonora opened her eyes and smiled. "I am awake," she said. "Depending on who walked into my room."

Lara laughed. "Been arguing with Dad again have you?"

"Of course not," said Leonora. "I just happened to point out that his language and gestures were inappropriate."

"Been getting up your feminist nose again has he?" said Lara. She thought Leonora's views were somewhat radical, but she always carefully watched what she said when Leonora was around to avoid annoying her.

"Anyway, I have a bone to pick with you young woman. I take it that it was Leonard's idea for you to ask me down here?" asked Leonora.

"Hey I would never have rung you if I didn't want to see you. You know that," she said neatly avoiding the question.

"Mind you it's a bit clever for Leonard. I wonder whose idea it really was," said Leonora thoughtfully.

Tata wriggled uncomfortably next to her on the bed but barked nothing.

"Tata?!" said Leonora accusingly, shocked at Tata's duplicity.

Tata quickly screwed up her face and looked straight at Leonora with her best irresistible look and gave a tiny whimper.

Leonora fell for it straightaway, and said, "Oh well, I was missing you, and it is good to see Lara."

Tata sighed with relief and pulled another silly face for good measure.

"Why don't I go and get us both a glass of wine and we can start chatting about my trip?" said Lara. "Or better still, I can bring the bottle."

"Don't forget to bring an atlas, and your visas and tickets and stuff," called Leonora after her.

Tata smiled, pleased with herself. She had been found out but Leonora wasn't cross with her, so she could look forward a fine evening with two of her favourite women.

She nuzzled up to Leonora, who stroked her again, and told her what a wonderful dog she was.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all developing very nicely.

Well, perhaps not, nicely. But interestingly.

I like the wine too. Plenty of it.

That Leonora is a real stickler for her feminist values, but good for her I say.

Oh and I forgot to tell you, this morning I met a man with a crutch. Well actually he had two crutches.

We had a long discussion about his crutch(es) and it was very interesting. I thought of poor Leonard whilst we were talking.

He was a very pleasant man, he had an earring in his left ear.

Now it seems I may have described Long John Silver, but he actually was a real man, with crutches.

I have said enough. More another time.

Liking this story muchly.

An Intrepid Traveller Who Has Been Sobbing, Sob, sob, sobbing alone.

Chrissie Hynde

Anonymous said...

He was recovering from an Ankle Fusion operation.

The man with crutches, but not Long John Silver.

I will bore you on my blog(s) too many to mention another time, suffice to say. Indeed.

Anonymous said...

hence the crutches.

Anonymous said...

More gin is needed.

And tell that stupid Empty Nester to get a life.

She needs a kick.

I look forward to the next instalment.

Anna

Anonymous said...

Your blog is amusing, I cannot wait for the denouement.

Salman Rushdie

My first name is usually spelled wrongly - I hasten to add - by ignorant people. I would like to take this opportunity to put the record straight. I am not named after a fish.