Thursday 11 December 2008

Plans

Leonora's appointment at the hospital went ok, and she was despatched with instructions to attend physio and do regular exercises at home.

Leonard had taken the afternoon off work to take her to hospital and bring her back home, so she was on her best behaviour. She actually did appreciate him ferrying her round and being there to help her, it was just the bossy way he ordered her around that got up her nose.

They arrived back home and Tata rushed up to greet them both. She noticed Leonora looked and smelled slightly different but she wasn't sure how. Although she did wonder if the change in Leonora's appearance meant she would be back up to running through rivers and helping dig holes in the sand.

Leonora limped to the sofa and Leonard went to make a cup of tea. He knew better than to ask Leonora if she wanted tea in the afternoon, especially after a session in hospital, so he brought her a glass of wine.

"Do you want a game of something?" he asked, thinking it might take her mind off her ankle.

"No, thanks, don't feel like it," she said.

"Film?" he suggested.

"Nah, just want to lie here and feel useless," she said in an I-feel-sorry-for-myself voice.

"Well that won't get you back on your feet again," said Leonard in his usual brisk and far-too-breezy bossy fashion.

"Starting from tomorrow, when I come home at lunchtime and in the evening, we will make sure you go through your exercises together.

"On Saturday we will go for a short walk. I'm out on Sunday, but I'm sure Mrs Leonard will help you during the day, and in the evening, I will be around for you to go through them again."

Leonard was pleased with himself, that should sort Leonora out. She needed a bit of order in her life.

Leonora pouted. She wanted to stamp her foot too, but that wasn't a viable proposition. Especially as she was lying down.

She wanted to say 'I'm going home' but knew she wasn't up to it yet. And Leonard was always so persistent that she knew she would end up coming back for one reason or other. Sometimes even Leonora felt it was easier not to argue with him.

Leonard was encouraged by the lack of argument. He decided to strike while the iron was hot.

"Listen," he said, although Leonora had little choice, stuck on the sofa and unable to get away from him.

"I've got a load of annual leave that I haven't taken, you were talking about planning a trip, so why don't we go together?" he asked.

Leonora nearly dropped her glass of wine.

"What?" she asked, incredulously.

"You were talking about travelling when you are mobile again, so why don't we take Tata's Land Rover down to Morocco?" he said.

"You always said you were interested in going after I told you about our trips down there.

"You can regard it as my treat and a sort of an apology for you ending up in this mess anyway," he said.

"I don't think it's a terribly good idea for me to tag along for a few weeks with you and Mrs Leonard. I'm sure you will all have had more than enough of me by the time I go back home," she said.

"Oh Mrs Leonard can't come," he said. "She hasn't got enough leave. It would just be you and me."

Leonora's wine glass wavered unsteadily yet again.

"Just you and me?" she repeated.

"Yes," he confirmed, smiling.

"And what on earth do you think Mrs Leonard would say to that?" she managed to ask eventually.

"She's perfectly happy with me going away with you. Seems to think you will be too demanding and cantankerous for me to get into any mischief," he said.

"How do you know?" asked Leonora, who was getting more and more confused by the minute with this surreal conversation.

"I've already asked her if she wanted to go, and she suggested that I ask you," he said.

"Huh, second choice again eh?" sulked Leonora.

"One minute you tell me I should be going with Mrs Leonard, the next you are moaning because I've asked her and she can't go. Make your mind up Leonora.

"Or are you just finding fault with everything I say and do?

"Anyway, give me a good reason for not coming. You've always said you want to go, I'd like to go back again - so what's to stop us?"

"Don't you have any mates you want to go with?" she asked.

"Yeah, you."

"I'm not a mate, I'm a cousin," she said prissily.

"I think you are a mate. When you aren't being a brat."

Leonora was dying to knock the whole conversation on the head, but something impelled her to keep going.

"And where am I supposed to sleep? In that stupid roofbox thing with you?"

"Sleep where you want. In the stupid roofbox, in the back of the Land Rover, or in the ground tent," he said.

"Well, where will you be sleeping?" she asked, wondering if she was dreaming.

"In the stupid roofbox, which is very comfy I might add," he replied.

"Well, if I wanted to sleep in the roof thing, where would you sleep?"

"I'd be sleeping there too. There would only be half as much space, but it would be warmer with someone else up there and it can get cold in the mountains," he said calmly.

"You're not seriously suggesting we sleep together are you?" she said in disbelief.

"Yes. Oh, god Leonora, you don't think I want to shag you, do you?" he said, and collapsed laughing.

Leonora felt very insulted. She seriously considered whacking him with one of the little crutches, but she didn't want to hurt the little crutches.

"You may not Leonard, but other men have occasionally been vaguely interested in the idea," she answered.

"Well, as you never tell me about your sex life, apart from that brief mention of the arse Paul, I wouldn't know would I?" he said.

This conversation was not going at all well for Leonora. She really didn't know what to say next. Fortunately Tata interrupted.

"Aruff ruff?" she barked happily.

"Actually no Tata," said Leonard. "We can't take you to North Africa and bring you back in on your passport. You can stay here and have fun with Mrs Leonard."

"Ruff," she barked sadly. "Ruff ruff."

"Well, we would like you to come though," said Leonora. "Perhaps we should just go to Europe, and then you could come."

"That's a good idea too," said Leonard, pleased that Leonora was still considering the whole idea. "The thing to do is book the ferry and decide nearer the time."

Leonora felt trapped. "Just a minute, I haven't said yes."

"You haven't said no either. Nor did you give me a good reason for not coming.

"Anyway, don't rule it out, it would be good fun and I'd certainly enjoy the break," he said.

"And while we're talking about travel, Lara has sent even yet more images of her trip, so let's have a look at those."

Leonard though that was a rather clever move on his part, whetting Leonora's appetite for travel by showing her Lara's photos.

Leonora, of course couldn't resist the offer, and the two of them huddled closely together over the laptop, both wishing they were with Lara on her exotic tour of south-east Asia.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my, the tension is building here.

Off on the Road To Morocco .........get Clever Dick to point you towards the actual song and singers.......

Methinks a sex scenerooonie is building here.

I am awaiting, with not so much baited breath as panting breath......

Anna Whodoesnotgetmuchifany

Anonymous said...

oh btw the photos especially the last one, are lovely.