Tuesday 5 August 2008

The conspiracy

Friday afternoon in the Smith household.

Rod arrives.

Tata The Talking Dog bounds up to greet him enthusiastically.

"Ruff ruff."

"Hi Tata, I'm fine thanks. How are you?"

"Ruff."

"That's good. Is dad around?"

"Grrr ruff ruff."

"Oh right. I thought he would be in. Do you think he will be long?"

"Ruff."

"The thing is Tata, he's railroaded me into promising I'll do the overdrive for him today...."

"Ruuuuuuufffff." Tata yawns at hearing about the overdrive yet again.

".......but, because I've finished the course early this week some of my mates have suggested we all go down the beach this afternoon.

"Now I really really want to go. It is such a nice day and we thought we could have a barbecue and maybe spend the night down there.

"But if I start doing the overdrive I'll just never get away and by the time it's finished I won't feel like doing anything."

"Ruff," barks Tata in agreement.

"So, as he's not around, do you think you could possibly tell him that something has cropped up unexpectedly and I'm really sorry but I can't make it today.

"I mean it's not a lie is it?"

"Grrrr ruff ruff."

"Oh you're a great dog Tata."

"Ruff ruff?"

"You're right though. He will be expecting me tomorrow instead won't he? And of course if it's a nice day tomorrow we might want to spend more time down the beach. Hmmmm. What do you think tomorrow's excuse should be?"

"Grrrr rufff."

"Got to help a mate with a sudden problem? Yeah, that'll do. You're usually pretty convincing, he believes everything you say. And then Sunday I just have to spend some time with the girlfriend."

"Ruff ruff."

"Yeah, yeah. I know I'll have to do it sometime but I just don't like being pressurised. After all, it's not as though he's going to drive it anywhere this weekend. The way he's performing with that leg he'll be lucky to drive before Christmas."

"Ruff," agrees Tata.

"OK then Tata. That's sorted and I can have a cool weekend off. Say Hi to mum for me too. See ya later."

"Ruff." Tata waves a paw at Rod as he drives off and rolls over to dream of digging holes in the sand and running riot on the beach.

No comments: